PRINCIPLES OF THE
PRINCIPLES OF REBIRTH (LECHI)
(1) THE NATION - The Jewish nation is unique in that it has given the world
monotheism and the moral laws of the prophets. It stands in the forefront of
universal culture and is distinguished by its traditions, boundless faith, will
to live and powers of resistance; by its enlightenment and confidence in
(2) THE HOMELAND - This is the Land of Israel, the boundaries of which are
explicitly stated in the Torah ("To your descendants I give this land from
the River of Egypt to the Great river, the Euphrates ..." Genesis 15:18)
(3) THE NATION AND ITS HOMELAND - The Land of Israel was conquered by the Jews
by the sword. It was here they became a nation and only here can they be reborn.
Not only has Israel the right of ownership over the land but this ownership is
absolute and has never been or can ever be rescinded.
(4) THE DESTINY - The nation is dedicated to : 1) Redeeming the land. 2)
Re-establishing its sovereignty. 3) Reviving the nation: there can be no
sovereignty without redemption of the land and no national rebirth without
renewing our sovereignty.
(5) EDUCATION - Fostering the love of freedom and a religious faith in the
eternal values of our people; imbuing the people with the concept that they are
the masters of their fate; renewing their conviction that "the sword and
the Book came down intertwined from heaven."
(6) UNITY - Uniting the whole nation around the flag of the Hebrew Freedom
Movement; exploiting the genius, status and power of individuals and directing
the energy, devotion and enthusiasm of the masses towards a war of liberation.
(7) ALLIANCES - Treaties will be signed with any power interested in supporting
the struggle of the Organization and willing to give direct assistance.
(8) STRENGTH - To Mold and Glorify the Hebrew Redeeming Force in ISRAEL and the
Diaspora, in the underground and Barracks, to be a proud Army with his own
Banner, Weapons and Officers.
(9) WAR - Strengthening the fighting forces and enhancing their status both at
home and in the Diaspora, in the underground and in the barracks, until there
emerges a Hebrew army of salvation with its own flag, arms and officers.
(10) CONQUEST - The Promised Land, now in the hands of foreigners, will be
conquered and held to the end of time.
(11) MASTERY - Re-establishment of Hebrew hegemony in the liberated land.
(12) RULE OF JUSTICE - Creation of a social order founded on the morality of
Israel and the justice of the Prophets - and order where no man may be hungry or
unemployed and all live in amity, mutual respect and friendship, thus setting an
example to the whole world.
(13) REPLANTING THE DESERTS - Rebuilding the ruins and replanting the ravished
wastes in preparation for the arrival of millions of Jews and their off-spring.
(14) DEALING WITH ALIENS - This will be done by means of exchange of
(15) INGATHERING OF THE EXILES - Jews from all parts of the Diaspora will be
ingathered in full in the State of Israel.
(16) RULE - Strengthening the nation by developing it into a major military,
political, cultural and economic power in the East and on the shores of the
(17) RENAISSANCE - Universal revival of the Hebrew language and of national and
spiritual independence; refinement of the national character through the process
(18) THE TEMPLE - A Third Temple will be built, symbolizing the complete
All in all, (in May 1948) total LECHI strength was approximately 2,000. Some 750
enlisted into the Israel Defense Forces on the first day of recruitment. Most of
them were transferred to Yitzchak Sadeh's division and the 89th Commando Brigade
of Moshe Dayan and the 82nd commanded by Yoffe. The majority of the Intelligence
Section of LECHI, suspicious of Ben-Gurion's intentions, enlisted individually
so as not to be identified with LECHI.